Road Safety Week is a UK-wide community-involvement event organised annually by Brake, the road safety charity. Each year focusses on a different theme.
Brake also launches the Week with national and regional media stories to help raise awareness.
Road Safety Week 2019 - Step up for safe streets
This Road Safety Week we want everyone to “Step up for Safe Streets” and learn about, shout about and celebrate the amazing design-led solutions that will allow us all to get around in safe and healthy ways, every day.
Every 20 minutes, someone is killed or seriously injured on a British road, yet each of these tragedies is preventable . Road Safety Week 2019 will share how a focus on design can stop human error from causing death or serious injury on the roads, can encourage walking and cycling, and can make sure that the air is clean, helping keep everyone safe, fit and healthy.
- Everyone can step up by pledging to use roads safely, minimise vehicle use and shout out for design-led solutions.
- Schools can help young people step up and learn how to create a safe and healthy future and shout out for change.
- Organisations can step up their policies and procedures to ensure they choose design-led solutions.
- Emergency service professionals can step up to highlight their vital role in helping keep us safe.
- Policy-makers can step up by developing and mandating proven design-led solutions.
Read press releases from previous years in our news archive.
Learn more about events people ran in previous years on our 'You did it!' page.